Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Tennessee
Get an experienced Nashville attorney if you were hurt in a bicycle crash
Many people enjoy bicycling in the Nashville area and throughout Middle Tennessee, but it only takes one negligent driver to cause a car accident that leaves bicyclists seriously injured. You deserve financial compensation if you were hurt in a bicycle crash, but the legal process can be complicated. That’s why you need an experienced Nashville bicycle accident attorney in your corner if you were hit by a car.
The Law Office of Eric Beasley has helped thousands of clients throughout the Nashville area during more than 20 years of practice. He understands how bicycle accident injuries can impact their lives and helps them overcome the challenges they face when seeking compensation. It’s one reason he continues to receive referrals from former clients. They know the difference an experienced Nashville bicycle accident lawyer can often make in complicated legal cases.
What are common causes of bicycle accidents?
If you were hit by a car and knocked off your bike, your crash likely occurred because the driver was behaving in a reckless or negligent manner. Bicycle accidents may be caused by:
- Distracted drivers (including texting drivers) who don’t share the road and crash into cyclists riding alongside the road.
- Speeding drivers who don’t have time to slow down and avoid hitting a cyclist.
- Drunk drivers or drivers under the influence of drugs who crash into a cyclist.
- Tired drivers who fall asleep at the wheel.
Is this how you got hit by a car? Or are you dealing with a different type of bicycle accident? However you were knocked off your bike, the driver who caused your crash should be held accountable for their actions. That’s our job. That’s why we want to help.
Common bicycle accident injuries
Injuries sustained in a serious bicycle accident can change a cyclist’s life in an instant. Because motor vehicles are so much bigger than bikes, injured cyclists often sustain severe injuries. Such injuries include:
- Head injuries, including concussions and other serious traumatic brain injuries (TBIs).
- Neck injuries, include broken neck bones or severe nerve damage.
- Spinal cord injuries, including paralysis.
- Internal injuries, including organ damage or internal bleeding.
- Hand or arm injuries, including a broken arm or wrist.
- Leg or foot injuries, including a broken leg.
In each case, it’s critical that you have a doctor examine you right away and diagnose exactly what’s wrong. That way, you can get the medical care you need and hopefully fully recover as soon as possible.
Warning signs of a serious bike injury
There are many ways you can tell that you or a loved one sustained a serious injury in a bicycle accident caused by a driver. Some of the warning signs or symptoms of a serious bicycle injury include:
- Chest pain
- Leg pain
- Bruising after bicycle accident
- Frequent or severe headaches
- Memory lapses or no memory of bike accident
If something doesn’t seem right, seek medical attention. If necessary, go right away to TriStar Centennial Medical Center Emergency Room in Nashville or the nearest emergency room hospital. This is especially important if you have been hit by a car on your bike. You could have a life-threatening injury that requires immediate medical care.
What to do after a bike accident
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bike accident after being hit by a car, it’s critical that you take certain steps to protect your health and your legal rights, including:
- Call the police and tell them you’ve been hurt in a bicycle accident caused by a driver.
- Ask the police to send an ambulance if you believe you’re seriously injured.
- If anyone saw your accident, get the witness’ full name and phone number.
- Get the driver’s name, address, phone number and insurance information.
- Don’t talk about your bicycle accident with anyone other than the police.
- If you have insurance, call your insurance company and tell them what happened.
- Call a bicycle accident lawyer as soon as possible. The sooner you have an attorney helping you handle your bicycle injury claim or lawsuit, the better.
We know how to hold negligent drivers accountable
Bicycle accidents are often caused by negligent drivers. Examples of negligence include speeding, operating recklessly and ignoring traffic signals. Some drivers who cause crashes were texting or talking on the phone. Others were under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Some have even fallen asleep at the wheel.
The force of impact from a car can leave bicyclists with serious injuries because they have very little protection. They may suffer broken bones or injuries to the head, neck or back. It may take months or even longer or them to fully recover. Some bicyclists are left with a permanent disability and their lives are forever changed.
It seems like these cases should be straightforward. A negligent driver hit your bicycle. You file an insurance claim. The insurance company pays for your medical expenses and provides you with fair compensation. The reality is that these cases are always much more complicated.
What often happens is that the driver may deny doing anything wrong and refuses to accept responsibility. The driver may even blame you for what happened – for example, by trying to argue that you crossed the street against the light.
Insurance companies are supposed to help the injured, but the truth is they will try to pay you as little as possible. They may argue that your injuries aren’t really that bad or that you already had an injury even before the accident. Another tactic they use to minimize compensation is offering a settlement that falls far short of covering the damages you suffered.
Fighting for the compensation you need and deserve
Nashville bicycle accident attorney Eric Beasley thinks you deserve better. He is very familiar with the tactics used by insurance companies and knows how to fight back.
Our legal team investigates your bicycle accident to get the facts about who caused it. We gather evidence and carefully review accident reports and medical records. We identify and interview witnesses. If needed, we consult accident reconstruction experts. Our firm knows how to build a case that proves a negligent driver was responsible for what happened.
We are determined to help you recover the compensation you deserve. Attorney Beasley will be honest about what to expect and puts in the hard work needed to resolve your case in a way that meets your needs, either through a negotiated settlement or a jury verdict.
Learn more about how an experienced Nashville bicycle accident lawyer can help you. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation. We can review the details of your crash, go over your legal options and answer your questions.